When we ask learners do research on the internet, they are sometimes faced with inappropriate search results. This is any firewall administrator’s nightmare as well as a valid concern for most teachers and librarians. A search can also bring up millions of results, some of which are either commercial in nature or irrelevant. By creating a custom search engine we can make sure that learners only search within pre- approved search sites.
To create such a search engine is actually remarkably easy, the hard part is to collect relevant sites to populate your search engine with. I have decided to START with a learner safe search engine and built on it! Here is my search engine and a learning object that I have created to assist you to get going with your own one as well. I would be grateful if you can play with the learning object and let me know if there are any mistakes (grammar/spelling, broken links etc).